The last few months have been quite hectic in my household. I NEED to destress and declutter my life. My goal for 2017 is a De-Clutter/De-Stress challenge!
Having a business making T-Shirt quilts and Digital Printables that has been so beyond busy the last few months leading up to Christmas. By the time Christmas was here I was so overwhelmed my head was spinning. Were you feeling that way at all over the holidays?
I felt like I was drowning with my own expectations on what I usually do for Christmas, making cookies, decorating the tree, doing family holiday activities….almost none of that happened this year. Not only was I incredibly busy so was my family. With school commitments, Dance team commitments, the list could go on and on.
So, for 2017 I wanted to De-Clutter and De-Stress my life. Not sure how this will work but it is worth it for my health to SLOW down and be more organized and intentional with what is really important and all the other stuff can go.
As soon as Christmas was done, I started piling up old books, clothes, shoes, nick nacks and anything that I do not use or that does not bring me joy. Out it went to the Goodwill. What a relief!
I still have a long way to go to completely declutter. I need to work on all the junk in the garage, kitchen and attic spaces. That will take time but over 2017 I hope to make several more trips to the Goodwill.
“The truth is, once that stuff is gone I felt relief that it wasn’t a burden.”
Here are my 2017 De-Stress/De-Clutter steps:
- Thanks to Abigail and Emily, at Think Creative Collective, they are an incredible support for making your dreams become a reality. If you have not heard of them, check out their business. They were talking a few weeks ago about de-cluttering your online life. I completely agree 1000% percent
- De-Clutter all social media:
- Unsubscribe to all the extra things that you do not look at or find helpful.
- Unfriend people who are negative or that do not bring you joy.
- Clean up all Social media – only keep the groups, people or whatnot that truly add something to your life. Clean up everything else that does not.
- Turn off notifications for email, text or other pop-ups that disrupt your daily life. We already know we are going to pick up our phones enough throught the day to stay on top of all that is important. We do not need to grab our phones every time it dings. This is true for me. Every time my email or text would ding I would pick it up and look countless times during the day.
- Clean up your cell phone apps. Delete all that you do not use, and only move what is relevant to the first screen
- De-Clutter all social media:
- Be intentional on what I buy in 2017 to items I really need, not bring in extra clutter to have to manage.
- I admit it, I am a list maker. It makes me feel like I can be more on top of what my goals are for the day. Make an outline of what your goals/commitments are for the week so you can see if I am keeping my life in balance between work and family. Too much to do, move it to another week or see if you can get help getting your never ending To-Do list completed.
- Take time to BREATHE. Take a short walk to de-clutter your mind and enjoy the sounds of nature.
- Put down the phones!! This is a big one for my family. They are always looking at their phones and it is a pet peeve of mine. In the evening I want to carve out family time without touching cell phones so we have more time to connect and be present with each other.
Wish me luck on my 2017 De-Stress/De-Clutter Challenge. Want to join me? What are your tips to De-Stress or De-Clutter?