Day 10 of the 12 Days of Handmade Christmas is here! I am filling in for Mommy Upgrade today. She is feeling under the weather, and I can’t wait to see her Christmas Stocking tutorial soon.
In the meantime, let’s see how to make my ADORABLE DIY Burlap Reindeer!
Join 11 other bloggers and me as we create the 12 days of Handmade Christmas Tutorials. You can find Christmas Crafts, Christmas Decor, and yummy Holiday Recipes to share with family and friends.
I have an obsession with burlap lately! I made the Burlap Santa Sack Tutorial on Day 1. If you look at the picture, I also made an easy Snowflake Pillow using the same techniques.
I have been wanting to make a Christmas Burlap Wallhanging and thought this reindeer would be perfect.
Super easy to make, with only a few supplies. The antlers are shaped using my hand. You could change up the holiday Reindeer antlers using different hand positions when cutting out the template.
Supplies Needed To Make The DIY Burlap Reindeer
- Paint – craft paint will do. Brown, Black, Red, Pink, White
- Burlap – 20″ of burlap off the bolt – you need two layers
- Hot Glue Gun
- Sewing Pins
- Reindeer Paper Template
- 20 Gauge Wire
- Wire Cutters
- Four plastic grocery recycle bags
STEP 1 – Cutting Out Template and Reindeer
- After printing the Christmas Reindeer template, enlarge at office supply store to any size you desire. I made my reindeer 12″ x 16″. The pattern prints out on 8.5″ x 11″ paper.
- Cut out template and place on burlap that is pressed with a hot iron using plenty of steam to get the wrinkles out. You will need two layers of the reindeer. Top piece to paint and a bottom backing piece.
- Pin the template to the burlap, and cut around the pattern to create your two burlap reindeer pieces.
- FYI, you can change the antlers before cutting out reindeer template by using your hand and opening up your fingers to trace around hand to make a new antler shape.
Step 2 – Painting the Christmas Reindeer Wallhanging
- Separate the top and bottom reindeer, setting aside the lower piece for now.
- Using Wax paper or any other non-stick surface, lay top piece of cut out burlap onto paper to keep your work surface clean.
- Brush on a thick coat of paint. Let it dry and come back and paint again. The thicker the paint, the better, but it is your preference.
- Decorate the face, however, you like.
- Using a hot glue gun, run hot glue along the entire outer edge of the reindeer and press down. Work in small sections as the glue is HOT. MAKE SURE TO LEAVE 2 OPENINGS BETWEEN EAR AND CHEEK 2″ WIDE ON EACH SIDE.
- I choose NOT to stuff the antlers, and just glued down and pressed together. Feel free to stuff as desired.
Step 4 – Stuffing the Reindeer
- Pick up a few recycle grocery bags to stuff the reindeer. You can poke the plastic bags in using your fingers.
- Using a chopstick, move around the plastic bags to have an even layer of stuffing.
- I added four grocery bags, but you can make it much fluffier if you desire by adding as many bags as you like.
- Once all the bags are in the reindeer, move around the bags to make the Burlap Reindeer not look lumpy.
Step 5 – Finishing the DIY Christmas Reindeer
- Take the hot glue gun and seal up the two openings used to stuff the reindeer.
- Using scissors, trim around the ears and reindeer face to clean up any loose burlap pieces.
- Taking a 12″ Piece 20 gauge wire, poke one end through the antlers on top of each ear.
- Using a pencil wrap around the wire a few times to make a coil. Pull the pencil away. This coil will help the wire from falling out.
- Do the same for both sides to create a hanger for the reindeer. See top picture for example.
You can create any reindeer you like! Our adorable neighbor made her version that turned out perfect! Love it! Add a bow or two to make it extra girly. You can take any shape and use the same technique to make a burlap wall hanging for any occasion. I love how this turned out. This project comes together quickly with minimal work.
Don’t miss out on the awesome Christmas Giveaways! Head on over to the 12 Days of Handmade Christmas page to sign up to WIN AWESOME PRIZES!! The winners will be announced on Oct. 27th after the 12 Days of Handmade Christmas Blog Tour is over. You don’t want to miss out!!
If you missed any of the 12 Days of Handmade Christmas Tutorials – they are listed HERE!
Need a special Santa or Elf On The Shelf Miniature Little Letter to kick off the holiday season? Little Letter Shoppe can help you out! They offer Little Letters that are personalized just for you. They come in 1) a physical Little Letter package with small magnifying glass OR 2) as an Editable PDF if you want to create your little letter at home. How cute is that! They also offer Tooth Fairy Letters, Santa Letters, Going To Disney Letters and More!